Bob Isaacs & Co. & Dead Sea Squirrels
Bob has dug up the Dead Sea Squirrels and translated the new Beatitudes:
Blessed are the women who wear skirts for they shall be uplifted
Blessed are the men who change shirts for they shall be embraced
Blessed are the callers for they shall lead us to the top of the set
Blessed are the musicians for they shall channel celestial chords
Blessed are the dance organizers for they shall strengthen the tradition
Blessed are the Swingin’ Tern dancers for theirs is the community of contra.
Our mask policy is based on the current rating for Morris County from the CDC. If Morris County stays in the current Green or Yellow level, we will have two dance lines. One line will be Mask Required and one line will be Mask Optional. At the Orange level, masks [N/KN-95 or surgical] are required on all dance lines. At any dance, we may announce that masks are required in all lines.
Proof of vaccination must be presented at the door or may be sent in advance—see full Covid protocol below.
In addition to his calling, Bob Isaacs has been passing on his knowledge to fledgling callers. This dance will feature the calling of several of Bob’s protégés along with his own calling. Bob is known for his clear, concise instructions. He is a prolific contra choreographer—his creative dances are called throughout the country.
The Dead Sea Squirrels play widely for contra dances and are known for their danceable tunes arranged in medleys designed to closely match and enhance the movements of the particular contra dance being taught/called. They tend to push the boundaries of the southern style with fiddle and fiddle/guitar harmonies. Since all the musicians are also dancers, they understand the importance of the interaction between dancers and musicians, and how to use rhythm and dynamics to augment the feel and excitement of a dance.
Dead Sea Squirrels features Cathy Mason on fiddle, Craig Edwards on fiddle, banjo, and mandolin, and Henry Yoshimura on guitar.
- Proof of Covid Vaccination required—remember to bring your vaccine card to show at the ticket desk. You will be turned away if you do not have a CDC Covid Vaccination card indicating you have been fully vaccinated for more than two weeks.
- Our mask policy is based on the current rating for Morris County from the CDC. If Morris County stays in the current Green or Yellow level, we will have two dance lines. One line will be Mask Required and one line will be Mask Optional. At the Orange level, masks [N/KN-95 or surgical] are required on all dance lines. At any dance, we may announce that masks are required in all lines. At any dance, we may announce that masks are required in all lines. Please bring your own N95 equivalent or surgical mask—we’ll have extra masks at the ticket desk if you forget.
- The new level is posted by 8pm on the Thursday before each dance. Select Morris County on this link for the current level: CDC
- We are maintaining a roster of dancers that have been vaccinated to speed admission at future dances. If you are not already on our vaccine list, you may expedite entry by sending an image of your Covid Vaccination card in advance to Doug at dheacock at aol dot com and we will have your name on the roster. We are asking for email addresses should there be a need to contact you about an issue at the dance.
- Please arrive early. We ask for your patience at check-in.
- We will have some individually wrapped snacks for the break. You are welcome to bring your own snacks—if you plan to share, please make sure they are individually wrapped.
- Please bring your own water bottle with your name on it. We will not be providing a punch bowl
- 7:00 PM - 7:30 PM
- Beginner's Workshop
- Learn the basics or help the newcomers.
- 7:30 PM - 10:30 PM
- The main event.