Dan Black & Smash the Windows
We will be adjusting our mask policy if conditions permit. We anticipate that Morris County will drop into the Yellow category by the July 2nd dance. If so, we will have two dance lines. One line will be Mask Required and one line will be Mask Optional. We will have the final decision on this on June 30 when the new ratings come out. At any dance, we may announce that masks are required in all lines so always bring your mask just in case.
Dan’s breakthrough contras will keep your awning at bay as you sash-ay across the floor to Smash the Windows. Not to be a pane or make a federal casement, but you’ll be double-hung and in a jamb if you miss this screentest. Don’t be blind, jalousie, or held for transom; get the picture and drape yourself in something sheer or pleated before the final curtain.
In Dan Black‘s words: The joy of contra dancing was found in the mid-1990’s with my move to New Jersey from Pennsylvania. You will usually see Dan or possibly hear me on the floor at the many nearby dances within the NJ & PA area. Contra dancing is about having fun. Just imagine the fun that I have learned about at the microphone helping other dancers increase their funness (sic) . Should not funness be a word, oh well come dancing, as the Kinks would say, and get your fun on. Dances are carefully selected and walkthroughs are as short as possible so the dancers may dance to the great tunes from the band. See ya soon.
Smash The Windows began as a Civil War period dance project in 2006 and branched out to play contras and festivals in 2007. Their music features Sligo-style Irish and New England jigs and reels but also includes Bluegrass and Old Timey tunes as well as a nice selection of waltzes and couples dances. Their motto: Dancing beats sitting every time! The band features Bruce Young on guitar, Peggy Shutes on piano, and Ryck Kaiser on fiddle.
- Proof of Covid Vaccination required—remember to bring your vaccine card to show at the ticket desk. You will be turned away if you do not have a CDC Covid Vaccination card indicating you have been fully vaccinated for more than two weeks.
- We will be adjusting our mask policy if conditions permit. We anticipate that Morris County will drop into the Yellow category by the July 2nd dance. If so, we will have two dance lines. One line will be Mask Required and one line will be Mask Optional. We will have the final decision on this on June 30 when the new ratings come out. At any dance, we may announce that masks are required in all lines so always bring your mask just in case. Please bring your own N95 equivalent or surgical mask—we’ll have extra masks at the ticket desk if you forget.
- We are maintaining a roster of dancers that have been vaccinated to speed admission at future dances. If you are not already on our vaccine list, you may expedite entry by sending an image of your Covid Vaccination card in advance to Doug at dheacock at aol dot com and we will have your name on the roster. We are asking for email addresses should there be a need to contact you about an issue at the dance.
- Please arrive early. We ask for your patience at check-in.
- We will have some individually wrapped snacks for the break. You are welcome to bring your own snacks—if you plan to share, please make sure they are individually wrapped.
- Please bring your own water bottle with your name on it. We will not be providing a punch bowl.
- 7:00 PM - 7:30 PM
- Beginner's Workshop
- Learn the basics or help the newcomers.
- 7:30 PM - 10:30 PM
- The main event.