Paul Morris & The Contragenarians
It’s not just quadragenarians through octogenarians that love The Contragenarians. Egalitarians, totalitarians, humanitarians, disciplinarians, libertarians, vegetarians, even veterinarians, are carryin’ their dance shoes to The Contragenarians and the clarion calls of Paul Morris. Don’t be a contrarian, barbarian, or antidisestablishmentarian; come be a swinginternarian.
Our mask policy is based on the current rating for Morris County from the CDC. When the county rating is at the Yellow or Green level, masks will be optional in all dance lines. At the Orange level, masks [N/KN-95 or surgical] are required on all dance lines. At any dance, we may announce that masks are required in all lines.
Proof of vaccination must be presented at the door or may be sent in advance—see full Covid protocol below.
Paul Morris has been contra dancing for over two decades, from his hometown of Berea, Kentucky to New York City where he now hangs his hat. Paul has become a regular caller on the circuit of dances in the area. Paul has found his experience as a teacher helps him effectively teach dances to newcomers and experienced dancers alike.
Having each been on the dance scene for four decades, The Contragenarians play a mix of Old Time and traditional New England tunes that are sure to warm your feet up. Collectively, their varied musical credits include Peter Szego‘s deft rhythm guitar playing, his definitive book on Martin guitar history and expertise in banjo lineage. Richard Smith penned Bill Monroe’s best known biography, and has accompanied various bluegrass stars on mandolin. Ed Jankiewicz has played bass with bands too numerous to list, including the Hunterdon Symphony’s performance in Vienna, Austria. Garry Moore has been contra dancing and playing fiddle in the area since 1980. Come on out and give it a whirl!
- Proof of Covid Vaccination required—remember to bring your vaccine card to show at the ticket desk. You will be turned away if you do not have a CDC Covid Vaccination card indicating you have been fully vaccinated for more than two weeks.
- Our mask policy is based on the current rating for Morris County from the CDC. When the county rating is at the Yellow or Green level, masks will be optional in all dance lines. At the Orange level, masks [N/KN-95 or surgical] are required on all dance lines. At any dance, we may announce that masks are required in all lines. The current level for Morris County will be posted by 8pm on the Thursday before each dance.
- We are maintaining a roster of dancers that have been vaccinated to speed admission at future dances. If you are not already on our vaccine list, you may expedite entry by sending an image of your Covid Vaccination card in advance to Doug at dheacock at aol dot com and we will have your name on the roster. We are asking for email addresses should there be a need to contact you about an issue at the dance.
- Please arrive early. We ask for your patience at check-in.
- We will have some individually wrapped snacks for the break. You are welcome to bring your own snacks—if you plan to share, please make sure they are individually wrapped.
- Please bring your own water bottle with your name on it. We will not be providing a punch bowl.
- 7:00 PM - 7:30 PM
- Beginner's Workshop
- Learn the basics or help the newcomers.
- 7:30 PM - 10:30 PM
- The main event.